partners

     

Donor Report 2014/15

Dear Friends of Independence ZA,


We’re writing to update you about our recent community work, which your very important donations have supported. Thanks to your generosity, Independence ZA continues to fund projects, primarily focused in the rural community of Philippolis.

This year, Independence ZA continues its tertiary education bursary programme, adding a new student to the list in 2014/15 – Thabiso Thwala is studying teaching at the University of South Africa, and we’re covering his tuition fees, accommodation and a laptop for his studies.

A few years ago Independence ZA launched an important project, providing funding for a digital literacy programme, managed by our community-based partners, The Good Work Foundation. We established a licensed International Computers Drivers License (ICDL) centre in the town of Philippolis, which provides globally recognised computer and digital skills certifications. We continue to support this programme, funding another 20 students in 2014/15. The ability to navigate the digital world is a fundamental building block for a successful future, anywhere in the world, and you’ve helped us to empower nearly 100 young people since its launch four years ago.

We’ve also been long-standing supporters of a bright young thing, Oscar Mkhonza. Oscar is an inspiration – he lost both parent’s to HIV-AIDS before he was 15 – possessing a tenacity and vitality that amazes. Independence ZA again paid for Oscar’s school fees and extra Maths lessons, and in 2015 we’ll be looking to support him into tertiary education.

Thanks to your continued support we’ve raised over R1,000,000 (one million rand) over the last few years, ~96% of which has reached young South Africans, helping them learn new skills so that they may live independent lives, the other 4% covering charity admin, mainly in the form of banking and audit fees.

Please keep backing Independence ZA, you’re helping young South Africans to become confident, contributing and independent citizens.


Yours independently,


Tim, Paul, Mark & Jake
Trustees



Back to ZA Projects

bottomtag